The most comprehensive set of tricks for IELTS Reading is compiled in this post. IELTS Reading is not a simple reading comprehension test, but a test which is tricky as it examines the test-takers’ ability to understand the twists in English language too. IELTS test, in India is conducted by IDP and is the second test on the booked exam-date. Herein, we are details key IELTS Reading tips that you need to build in you apart from an IELTS course with Srishti
IELTS Reading format
There are multitude of details about IELTS Reading and few of the bare facts are
- 40 questions to be answered in 60 minutes
- 3 sections in IELTS Reading – be it IELTS Academic or IELTS General
- There are various types of questions including gap-fill, match the following, complete the notes, True/ False/ Not Given , Note complete etc
It is very important that few other reading tricks that should be practiced for succeeding in IELTS Reading
IELTS Reading tips
These IELTS Reading tips form the part-2 of 2-part series. Part-1 of IELTS Reading tips can be found here
Different English content
Do not try understanding all the text in your IELTS Reading passage
It means that if you no knowledge on the subject of the passage, you should not get bogged down to try understanding.
Even if the subject of the passage is within the your realm of knowledge, do not apply your knowledge. Practice following the text that you read
The IELTS reading test is prepared to test your your overall comprehension of the subject in the passage .
It will assess your ability to understand the same (or similar) ideas hidden behind different wordings and expressions.
DO NOT look for word-matchWord-match is one of the big mistake as one prepares for IELTS Reading test.
The most important IELTS Reading tip is to wean you away from searching exact words in the question(s) in the passage.
The test preparation personnel are cleverer
Questions first, not the passageThis IELTS Reading tip is very vital
Your focus for IELTS Reading should be answer
So, it is always question-first approach that you should adopt. Remember your IELTS Reading score is dependant on number of correct answers and not on your comprehension skills alone.
Build marking-up.This is a valuable IELTS Reading tip is this
During your day-to-day reading, use techniques to highlight the words that you think is important and/or words that you did not understand.
Then underline or mark-up those words and re-visit why you thought it was important. If you did not know the meaning of a word that has been marked-up, take a few minutes to refer to a dictionary along with knowing synonyms of those words.
Spare a minute to locate those words which you now know the meaning and familiarise with the way it has been used in your reading habit
Answer all questionsIELTS Reading test does not penalise you for wrong answer
Should you be lacking time, to complete ansswering all the 40 questions in 60 minutes, allocate the last 5-minutes to answer all the unattended questions too.
This IELTS Reading tip is a last resort approach and should not be the primary approach.
More Help on your IELTS Test
IELTS General related
- IELTS General Writing – Sample Essay for Band-9 in January 2022
- IELTS General Speaking – Latest question with sample in January 2022
- IELTS General Reading Skills – Updated tips January 2022
- IELTS General latest Listening Tips – January 2022
IELTS Academic related
- IELTS Academic Writing – Sample Essay of question asked in December 2021
- IELTS Academic Speaking – Latest question in December 2021
- IELTS Academic Reading Skills – Updated December 2021
- IELTS Academic Listening Tips – December 2021