Here, we focus upon demystifying few of the challenges and provide you a sample to read and familiarise on how to score good in IELTS Academic Writing. For finer nuances and techniques you should consider enrolling for Srishti's IELTS course. Be sure to check our free resources at the end of this post
Tips for preparing for your latest IELTS Writing challenge
Tips for IELTS Writing Task-2
In this task, you may be asked to write an essay. The essay topic varies but the important aspect is to identify the type of the essay question and try sticking to a structure for it. While the overall structure of 5 paragraphs need to followed irrespective of the essay type, analysing the topic and respond appropriately is vital.
Let us look at the assessment criteria for IELTS Writing Task-2 along with a sample question on the latest IELTS Writing question that appeared in the IELTS exam in India. This model answer to the latest IELTS Writing question will help you to build towards your goal of scoring high in IELTS test.
Coherence and cohesion
Grammar range and accuracy
Having seen the various assessment criteria that you will be scored for, let us look at a sample. Do not just read the sample response but you should analyse and relate it to the assessment criteria detailed above
More and more people today are moving away from where their friends and family live.
Do the advantages of this trend outweigh the disadvantages?
Write at least 250 words with examples and supporting ideas.
Key inputs to analyse
Let us take a few moments to analyse the topic and understand the type of essay as well as the ideas that will be needed to be expanded
- First of all, this is called a ‘taking a stand’ type of essay
- You should first decide whether you are agreeing if international sporting events highlight hosting nation’s capabilities or not
- Should you agree, you should jot down ideas to support it or should you decide to disagree, you should note down the points you are going to disagree
Students often struggle upon ‘how to start’ writing these. That is where the following tips help in building your first paragraph
- You should state your stand on the topic upfront.
- Apart from that, you can paraphrase the topic and bring the key points that you have jotted down as detailed in the Key inputs to analyse section above
The Model Answer
Having collected all the inputs and an broad idea about the opening paragraph, we will now look at the model answer for this Latest IELTS Writing Task-2 question
Some people’s opinion that, there is an increasing tendency for individuals to move away from where their friends and family live is a decidedly negative phenomenon. In my opinion, the perceived downsides related to social disintegration are overstated and do not supersede the benefits for individuals.
On the other hand, moving is often a catalyst for individual growth. Someone, who moves to a new country for work or study is likely to encounter people from different social and cultural backgrounds with a greater number of viewpoints and experiences than their former friends and family. Interacting with diversified set of people can lead to a broader range of interests and a keener understanding of other cultures. Moreover, many individuals leave their hometowns in order to escape toxic situations.
Families can be controlling and limiting, either intentionally or unintentionally, and moving to a new location allows a person to choose their friends, break old patterns of behaviour and achieve better mental health.
In conclusion, despite the threat of weakened familial and friendship bonds, there are significant benefits for the individual that make this trend positive. A balance is needed but this change is not inherently objectionable.
More Help with latest IELTS information and samples
IELTS Academic Writing Task-1 – Latest sample
IELTS General Reading – Latest Tips and Tricks. Here and here
IELTS General Writing – Sample Band-9 Essay – January 2022
IELTS General Speaking – Band-9 Sample – January 2022
IELTS General Listening – Tips – January 2022
- Know more about IELTS results
- Free IELTS Mock Test
- IELTS Speaking Sample here
- IELTS Reading tricks can be checked here
- IELTS Reading tips can be checked here
- IELTS Speaking Sample – January 2022 can be checked here
- March 2022 IELTS Speaking Sample
- Online IELTS Test Preparation
IELTS General related
- IELTS General Writing – Sample Essay January 2022
- IELTS General Writing – Sample Essay for Band-9 in January 2022
- IELTS General Speaking – Latest question with sample in January 2022
- IELTS General Reading Skills – Updated tips January 2022
- IELTS General latest Listening Tips – January 2022
IELTS Academic related
- IELTS Academic Writing – Sample Essay of question asked in December 2021
- IELTS Academic Speaking – Latest question in December 2021
- IELTS Academic Reading Skills – Updated December 2021
- IELTS Academic Listening Tips – December 2021